Sunday 21 December 2008

Onion # 16, Leek, Books and Bowl, Oil on canvas, 350 x 250 mm

I seem to have taken forever over this. Having a bad cold all week hasn’t helped. I started by trying to arrange a view which would allow me to fit the elongated shape of the leek into the picture frame. After trying all sorts of angles and lighting I realised that the board I’m using as a shelf, (which is weighted down with books chosen at random), gave me a warm arrangement of colours and some deep shadows. The most challenging thing was all the straight lines. I am now trying to work out how to fit some sort of adjustable straight edge to my easel.
Two weeks off work and as soon as this cold clears I will start on the Munsell exercises.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really nice painting, Nick, I love the foreshortening on the leek and the books are great.

Lucky you, having 2 weeks off work! I get 1 week and I'm soooo looking forward to it (lots of painting time!) Merry Christmas to you and yours!